Grain of rice – sculpture in Hong Kong

This tall sculpture (more than 10 meters high) stands in front of the HSBC Building, Central, Hong Kong. The first thought that came to mind when I saw it was that it was the largest metal-forming work I had ever seen. Its appearance reminded me of objects that were made using synclastic & anticlastic techniques also called shell-forming. Isn't it amusing to see how much my perspective has been influenced by my background as a metalsmith, especially in light of the artist's statement which I later found in the internet. It turns out that this sculpture was commissioned by HSBC to celebrate its 150th anniversary and it has the shape of a grain of rice.  Based Upon, a London studio creating art and design, is responsible for the planning and the execution. A shorter version (6 meter high) stands in London.
More details on the symbolism of the work, as well as additional photographs can be found in the following links:









Synclastic spiral bead from my collection

Comments