"Let the hammer work for you"

In previous posts I mentioned the metal-forming workshop I attended in August this year. At the time I was focused on the new techniques I learned and on the new turns my work can take with them.
Yet, Cynthia Eid, the instructor, had devoted time and attention to the way we work and especially to how we hold and use the hammers. As you can imagine there was a great deal of hammering during that workshop! Her mantra was "Let the hammer work for you". Her guidance was "Use a relaxed, loose grip that will let the handle move within your hand. You should grip firmly enough only to guide the hammer; it should be able to rebound easily". In the article "Hammer & Anneal" which Cynthia Eid wrote together with Betty Helen Longhi (published in Jewelry Artist, August 2009) this attitude is discussed in details along with other related issues. I must admit that this approach contrasts with to my instinct to grip the hammer with force so as to get control over the work I am doing assuming it will result in a more accurate product.
Now, back home I attempt to keep in mind these principles when I hammer or saw. Changing old habits is not easy so I do find myself sitting in a twisted position griping the tools with force. But I do my best to remember and assimilate!

Comments