Pricing handmade jewelry

Sterling silver & 14K gold bracelet

A few weeks ago I sold a pair of gold earrings. I wanted to replace them with a new pair however when I ordered the materials I found out that the price I have charged barely covers the cost of the raw materials and certainly it doesn't cover labor costs and overhead. This forced me to reopen an issue which I tend to neglect: Jewelry pricing.
For pricing jewelry accurately it is important to keep detailed records of the raw materials cost and of the time required to prepare the piece. In addition, it is necessary to follow the various components of overhead costs. The importance of these tasks is clear yet I do not enjoy doing them. Naturally I would rather design and fabricate jewelry than do paper work. I have decided to take some time to resolve this matter. I prepared an excel file with a few formulas to help me calculate prices, I searched my folders for actual costs of materials and tools and I am actually attaching price tags to my jewelry ahead of selling. My goal is to reach a state where each piece will be priced immediately after preparation, even though care should be given to changes in raw material costs over time.

Comments