The Millicent Rogers Museum

On my trip to Taos, New Mexico I visited the Millicent Rogers Museum. Lonely Planet described it as "Filled with pottery, jewelry, baskets and textiles, this has one of the best collections of Native American and Spanish Colonial art in the US". I am unable to judge whether this statement is true but I can, very enthusiastically, say that in my opinion the collection is rich in interesting and beautiful artifacts that are put on view in an easy to follow manner. At the time of my visit two displays were dedicated to Native American potters: Maria Martinez and Margaret Tafoya. Both collaborated with their families to experiment with different techniques and help preserve the ancient traditional pottery making techniques. Most notable were the black on black pieces (also known as blackware).
As my big love is for jewelry I will dedicate a few posts to the museum's jewelry displays. The jewelry was collected and owned by Millicent Rogers. This is an absolutely amazing collection because of the: large number pieces, variety of traditional styles (Zuni, Hopi, Navajo), contemporary designs with traditional roots, works by artists which until then I have seen only in books and presentations of traditional jewelry making tools and methods. My intention is not to provide a full report of the collection but to give a few insights into displays I found especially eye-catching.
More information can be found at https://www.millicentrogers.org.

The entrance to the hacienda that houses the museum

Pottery by Maria Martinez

Pottery by Maria Martinez

Pottery by Margaret Tafoya

Pottery by Margaret Tafoya

Comments