Practice makes perfect - Stone setting skills

The saying: "practice makes perfect" is well accepted. I have an extension: "cease practice makes imperfect" meaning if you stop practicing you can lose a skill you've worked really hard to master.
More than 10 years ago I took an excellent stone setting class. The instructor had extensive experience in the field and he generously shared his knowledge. I've practiced for many hours during class and at home and became quite good at stone setting. At that time, I used many stones for my jewelry. But new jewelry making techniques made me use less stones for my jewelry. After a while I lost it!
"Stop practice - forget skill!"

Recently I returned to training, working with copper and zircons, just like during the course. All this effort is done in hope that soon I will be able to reuse these techniques for my silver & gold jewelry.







Comments