Stone setting

About 5-10 years ago I was very skilled with burnish setting, also sometimes referred to as flush setting. Gradually I have moved to other techniques while using beads for extra color rather than stones. I have learned the hard way that stone setting is one of those skills that if you don’t use it you lose it. Therefore, for the past 6 month whenever I could I practiced setting zircons in copper sheet. Practicing per se was boring enough to make me move on to sterling silver. Actually, I went through my box of old & unfinished & leftover-from-past-projects pieces and picked three of them for stone setting practice. My thought was that if these will be trashed I would not mind that much. It went quite well although setting in sterling silver was much trickier than in copper.  



Fold forming

Synclastic forming

Dome forming

Dome forming

Comments